When was the last time you planned a vacation To a Hill Station?
If you are intending to have an adventurous vacay to a hill station then “Dalhousie” is the best destination. I am here with a travel guide for how to reach Dalhousie from Chandigarh as it’s one of the most proximal hill stations from the city.
One of the most popular destinations in Himachal Pradesh, Dalhousie, is a mesmerizing hill station that was named after Lord Dalhousie and was a favourite destination for the Britisher’s during the colonial era.
It is present at a height of 1,970 metres above sea level and stretches through Potreyn, Kathlog, Terah, Bhangora and Bakrota.
Tourist Attractions in Dalhousie – The Breathtaking Views
- The hill station provides waterfalls, rivers, forest trails, cafes, churches, markets and mall roads to its tourists.
- Panjpula and Satdhara are the 2 popular waterfalls present in this area along with 2 temples Bhulwani Mata and Bhalei Mata.
- Churches like St. Patrick’s, St. Francis, and St. John’s Church are some of the must-visit places.
Recreational Activities To Make Your Trip To Dalhousie Memorable
- Trekking-Tourists enjoy a trek to Dainkund Peak, which is the highest peak in Dalhousie and Khajjiar which is known as the mini Switzerland of India.
- Paragliding – If you are up for an adrenaline rush then paragliding is the perfect activity for you to try on, it’s present in the outskirts of Dalhousie and it is the most exciting thing to try!
- Dining & Shopping– Drive through at the Garam Sadak, Dining at Café Dalhousie, Shopping at the Gandhi Chowk and boating at Chamera Lake are some other activities that can be performed.
Experience A Calm & Pleasing Weather in Dalhousie
Summers are observed as mild whereas winters are experienced as freezing, therefore, the peak tourist season is between April and September.
How to Reach Dalhousie from Chandigarh?
There are numerous ways to travel from Chandigarh to Dalhousie, we have tried to describe as many varieties of ways possible which include, by Road and by Air. Flights, trains, buses, and cars all vehicles can be utilized accordingly to the suitability of an individual.
- The BEST WAY
Travelling to Dalhousie by road is the most perfect and fun option. A road trip to Dalhousie will allow you to explore the picturesque views on the way.
Distance Via NH44:-340.1 km
Approx Time: 7 hours.
Distance via NH503:- 310.9 km
Approx Time: 7 hours 30 minutes.
NOTE: There are No direct trains from Chandigarh to Dalhousie. If you wish to travel by train you will have to switch to a cab or taxi from Pathankot.
Nurpur Road is the nearest railway station.
Gaggal Airport is the nearest airport station.
- The CHEAPEST WAY
The most pocket-friendly way to reach Dalhousie from Chandigarh is via Pathankot. All you need to do is take a bus to Pathankot. From there you can easily book a taxi or cab to Dalhousie.
Approx Time: 8 hours 45 minutes
- The FASTEST WAY
If you are all excited to reach the destination without spending enough time on the roads. The fastest way to reach Dalhousie is via Phagwara.
You can grab a direct bus to Phagwara from there you can book a taxi or cab for your destination.
Approx Time: 5 hours 30 minutes
How to Reach Dalhousie from Chandigarh Via Different Routes?
Dalhousie is a hill station located at a prime location that is accessible through multiple routes. Choose the best route for you to avoid the inconvenience.
- Through Pathankot
When you travel to Dalhousie via Pathankot, you can conveniently choose between a train and a bus. A distance of around 233 km can be covered by train and the rest 80 km can be travelled by car.
The route involves first covering 250 km by bus and then covering 116 km by car.
- Via The Home of Dalai Lama, “Dharamshala”
When you travel to Dalhousie through Dharamshala, You have to travel around 250 km by bus followed by covering approx. 120 km by car. It allows you to relish the natural scenic pleasures on the way.
- Chandigarh to Dalhousie through Mcleod ganj
The route involves first covering around 263 km by bus and then there is a direct cab from Mcleod Ganj to Dalhousie. The minimum time it will take by cab from Mcleod Ganj is approximately 4 hours.
- Via Khajjiar
You can reach Dalhousie via Khajjiar. The Distance between Chandigarh to Khajjiar by road is 333 km approximately. The distance from Chandigarh to Khajjiar by air is approx. 214KM.
The further distance between Khajjiar & Dalhousie can be covered by a cab.
Restaurants To Enjoy Delightful Food While Embracing Nature:
- Tiffin’s Restaurant
- Old Sher -e- Punjab Dhaba
- Kwality Restaurant
- Lovely Restaurant
- Manmahesh Restaurant
- Tandon food Corner
- The kettle House
- The Dining Hut
- Napoli Restaurant
- Moti Mahal
Shopping in the Beautiful Streets of Dalhousie
- Many artisans live here and have set up small stalls and shops. wooden artefacts are the attraction in Dalhousie, and you can go on buying gifts in the same material.
- Local jam in the DC Khanna store is very renowned. They are without preservatives and are to be tried with cream and scones.
- The Tibetan Handicrafts found here can be used to decorate surroundings or can be taken home as a souvenir. Tibetan bags, dresses and shawls can also be found here.
- Woollen clothes are available in a large variety and so one must try and grab some of these as these are stocked up in Dalhousie in different shapes, colors for the buyer to decide from.
Sitting in the lap of nature, where mountains embrace the sky, is a heavenly experience hence, visiting Dalhousie is the best holiday destination and we are here to guide you on How to Reach Dalhousie from Chandigarh and what you must not miss while being there in Dalhousie.
Travelling to Dalhousie- Don’t Forget To Carry Certain Things
- Moisturizing and sunscreen lotion
- Woollen clothes along with socks
- Shoes with good rubber soul
- ID proofs
- Check the hotel ratings before booking
- Drinking should only be from bottled water
Hotels For A Smooth & Memorable Stay In Dalhousie
If you believe how to reach Dalhousie from Chandigarh should be your only concern. then I would like to draw your attention towards finding a comfortable room to stay in Dalhousie.
Moreover, To explore the picturesque hill station, you must have 3-4 days at least. For a hassle-free trip, you must book a hotel prior. Here I am listing the best hotels in proximity to the tourist spot.
- Amara Blue Magnets Dalhousie
- Comforting rooms providing all types of facilities, this hotel even provides bikes so that biking in the hills can be enjoyed by the guest!
- Hotel City Forest
- It is 3.6 km away from the centre of Dalhousie and provides double room accommodations for huge families.
- Hotel Kumar’s
- All basic amenities provided with free breakfast and a beautiful view.
- Merriment Hotel and Restaurant
- Location & the Speedy service make it the most appropriate accommodation.
- Luxury Suite and Resort
- With its perfect location for sightseeing, recreation, dining and getting around it also features private car parking with its restaurants offering delicious food.
Everyone needs a vacation once in a while and mountains are the best place to experience tranquillity and serenity. Dalhousie is such a mesmerizing & breathtaking hill station. how you choose to reach your destination adds extra fun to your trip.
Besides, the best thing about Dalhousie is its connectivity to other wonderful destinations, such as Khajjiar, Mcleod Ganj, Dharamshala. It is one of the greenest hill stations adjacent to the city beautiful Chandigarh. Here, I tried to give you an idea of all the possible ways to reach Dalhousie from Chandigarh.
I hope this can help you cherish your holiday in the kingdom of nature, Dalhousie. This is the best time to visit this green hill station, inhale nature and unwind from the stressful & monotonous life.
Written By: Nehal Sharma